Founded in Spring 2006, Parents United for Public Education is a parent-led citywide organization focused on providing an independent voice for parents fighting for public education that supports stable, equitable, and appropriate resources, staffing and programs for every school.
Reopening and Reimagining the School District of Philadelphia
News & Updates
- Transform Our Schools CampaignParents United, Philadelphia Home & School Council, PhillyDSA, Reclaim and Our City Our Schools coalition are committed to addressing the citywide policies and practices that must change to transform our school buildings. We will continue to show up for individual school fights to support students, school staff and families in real time and to informContinue reading “Transform Our Schools Campaign”
- Continued Deficiencies in Reopening Safety and Transparency [Open Letter]On the eve of the reopening of 53 school buildings, we are writing to share our concerns with readiness and transparency, and to request the proactive sharing of data and detailed information on facility safety, COVID testing results, and reopening progress.
- School Buildings are Reopening but Where’s the Data?The first 53 school buildings are reopening tomorrow for children for the first time in almost a year, despite ongoing concerns about the amount of information and up to date data that is not publicly available for parents to review.
- Considering Opting Out Your Child from High-Stakes Testing?With the recent guidance issued from the Department of Education that says that states must give standardized tests this school year (despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the many other reasons testing should be cancelled), we’ve decided to republish this post about opting out of testing. We will continue to update the post and resourcesContinue reading “Considering Opting Out Your Child from High-Stakes Testing?”
- Open Letter Regarding Continued Hybrid Reopening Plan FailuresWe believe that delaying the reopening of buildings to ensure safety is the right choice, however we are disturbed with the district’s leadership’s insistence in saying that the delay is due to the ongoing mediation with the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers.
- Reopening and Reimagining in the School District of PhiladelphiaLike so many others, we have been intensely focused on the discussion around a healthy and safe reopening of school buildings in the School District of Philadelphia for hybrid or in person learning. Read our demands.
Learn More About Our Work
Response to the District’s Reopening Plan
Our Summer 2020 response to the district’s original plan to re-open schools during COVID.
Back to School Toolkit
Check our our 2019 Back to School toolkit for resources, tips, and much more.