Founded in Spring 2006, Parents United for Public Education is a parent-led citywide organization focused on providing an independent voice for parents fighting for public education that supports stable, equitable, and appropriate resources, staffing and programs for every school.
Reopening and Reimagining the School District of Philadelphia
News & Updates
- Considering Opting Out Your Child from High-Stakes Testing?With the recent guidance issued from the Department of Education that says that states must give standardized tests this school year (despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the many other reasons testing should be cancelled), we’ve decided to republish this post about opting out of testing. We will continue to update the post and resourcesContinue reading “Considering Opting Out Your Child from High-Stakes Testing?”
- Open Letter Regarding Continued Hybrid Reopening Plan FailuresWe believe that delaying the reopening of buildings to ensure safety is the right choice, however we are disturbed with the district’s leadership’s insistence in saying that the delay is due to the ongoing mediation with the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers.
- Reopening and Reimagining in the School District of PhiladelphiaLike so many others, we have been intensely focused on the discussion around a healthy and safe reopening of school buildings in the School District of Philadelphia for hybrid or in person learning. Read our demands.
- COVID Reopening and Building Safety QuestionsDuring our recent set of webinars about Philadelphia schools’ facility conditions and safety, we had the opportunity to share information and hear questions from many caregivers and educators.
- Parents United Response to the SDP Reopening PlanWe, like so many, are spending a lot of our time thinking about reopening schools safely. We are still trying to process last week’s Board of Education meeting.
- Open Letter to Dr. Hite Regarding School District Facility IssuesWe, Parents United for Public Education, are deeply concerned with multiple aspects of the facility issues notification process, clean up procedures, and lack of parental involvement in the district’s latest school closures.
Learn More About Our Work
Response to the District’s Reopening Plan
Our Summer 2020 response to the district’s original plan to re-open schools during COVID.
Back to School Toolkit
Check our our 2019 Back to School toolkit for resources, tips, and much more.